Friday, July 12, 2019

Genesis of the Denpa Pentateuch

Welcome to the Denpa Pentateuch.
This blog is dedicated to Japanese otaku culture, with focus on doujin music, denpa subculture and otaku history.

Before I begin, I wish to give my thanks to those who pushed me to pursue doujin music history and in turn open this blog. I want to thank the /jp/ Denpa Thread for providing me the spark to look deeper into denpa music. I want to thank Denpa no Sekai and the denpa omaera webpage for providing quality information over the past decade. I also want to thank the person behind the Akihabara@Deep thread of December 2018, who pushed me to look into the roots of otaku, as well as the editors in VGMDB for providing accurate, valuable information and image scans of albums I would had otherwise never heard about. Last but not least, I want to thank all others I've spoken with about doujin music and denpa anonymously and in name.

With thanks in place, I will begin with an introduction of denpa music. You might ask, why do so when other introductions already exist in English and Japanese. I believe that the roles of several key players in the 1990s justify revising the history of denpa music, shifting the focus from the traditional commercial approach to a mixed commercial and doujin approach, two development paths complemented by the otaku culture of the period. All to be covered in the next post.

Notes:
I update posts every once in a while if a change is needed - for example, when new information is presented.

4 comments:

  1. hi, i just found this blog linked through a friend. just wanted to say i'm a huge fan of denpa and moe and i srsly appreciate the endeavor to research such a genre. if you would be willing to talk about denpa, plz hit me up!!! i do know a bit myself, but i'd like to learn more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure how to contact you (deleted my twitter), but you can contact me at tech_ni_que on soulseek if you have that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I became interested in denpa music (and SOME vocaloid music) some time ago and I recently found your blog. It's great. I hope you manage to publish here on a regular basis. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete